Search for fortifications
• On the page “Search for fortifications” (Search Form) you can find all the fortifications registered in the Website.
• Click on the Search button to list all the registered fortifications in database. It is located below the search form.
• For restrictive searches, you can use the available inquiries search: Recent Name, Other denominations, Continent, Country etc. These inquiries can be used individually or being arranged.
• To look for the Present Name, type a word or a sequence of words which correspond to the searched Name. Then you click on the Search button. For example: to search for the fortress “Fortaleza de Santa Cruz de Anhatomirim” (Santa Cruz Fortress of Anhatomirim), type one of these words: Fortaleza (fortress) or Santa or Cruz. You can also search for sequential words of the title, like: Fortaleza de Santa or Santa Cruz or Fortaleza de Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz Fortress). However, the system will not find the example above if you type the words of the title isolated, side by side, or out of the sequential order, like: Fortaleza de Anhatomirim (Anhatomirim Fortress) or Cruz Anhatomirim etc. It is also applied to the inquiries: Other denominations, State/Province and City.
• To search for a specific Country or Continent where the fortification is located in, such as looking for fortification type, conservation, legal protection level, its recent use or original nationality, open the correspondent list, select the option you want, among those showed in alphabetic order. After this, make sure that what you had selected is permanently fixed: in case the selection window remains activated (become gloomy) an accidental touch on mouse or on computer keyboard could change the type previously selected. If one these inquiries is not important to your research, keep the option All defined on the respective list.
• To search for the recent Owner of the fortification, or to look for its Maintainer, Governor Mandatary when it was began, or still for its original project author, click on the correspondent icon (magnifying glass). It opens a new window (pop up). Select the Author that you are looking for on the list showed in alphabetic order or type a word that belongs to the name that you want to reduce the list of options showed. After that, click on the Search button. Important: make sure that are defined the option which allows the visualization of pop up windows at the Web Browser configurations. If you need to delete an incorrect defined option, use the eraser icon close by the respective inquiry.
• You can also search for the date of fortification construction Beginning, its Conclusion or even its Disappearance. Write the year you are looking for in the correspondent field (four numbers). Then, you choose one of these options: Before, Exactly in or still After. Make sure that what you had selected is permanently fixed: in case the selection window remains activated (become gloomy) an accidental touch on the mouse or on the computer keyboard, you will be able, involuntarily, to modify the type previously selected. Example: If you want to search for the beginning of a fortification construction occurred before 1740. In the inquiry Construction Beginning select on the list the option Before and write the date (1740) by its side.
• To look for the fortification Present Total Area, write in the correspondent field the length you want (whole number). After this, choose one of these possible options: Smaller than, Exactly or Bigger than. Make sure that what you had selected is permanently fixed.
• You can still search for those fortifications which have one of these Medias options registered in this Website database: Map, Video, Image, Panoramic or CAD Designs. If these information are not important for your search, choose the Indifferent option.
• You can also search for key-words, typing in the corresponding field one or more words, sequential or not, pertaining to the text content of fortification’s description or to other fields, like Constructive Techniques, Visiting etc. If two or more words will be typed, the result of the research will show bibliographies that contain EITHER one of the typed words and not necessarily those that contains ALL the typed words.
• In the research using the combination of more than one of the available questions of search, the gotten results will be those that attempt jointly to all the predefined questions and never only to one or another one separately.
• In case of doubts on which questions of search you must use, make a ampler research first and, later, return to the form search page and refine the definite questions previously, restricting the gotten results.
• Notice that the inquiries defined in the last search are still there every time you go back to the Search page (search form). You can change it in order to refine the previous results page or click on Clean button to delete all the inquiries previously defined and do a new search.
• The users who are connected to Fortalezas.org Website (logged in the restrict edition area), can also do a new search with two other inquiries which are located at the top of the page. In this case, you can still search for "Just in my registers", that is, only searching for those texts registered by that user or you can search for the inquiry “Waiting for approval”, that is, only searching for those texts registered by that user but still not approved by the Website Administrator of fortalezas.org.