Search for characters
• On the page “Search for Characters” (Search Form) you can find all the historical characters related to the fortifications registered in the Website.
• Historical characters are people who, in the past, in an extended or transitory way, were related to the fortifications life: the project authors, builders, engineers, commanders and other militaries, monarch, governors, prisoners, visitors, among others. So, bibliographies authors, maintainers, present owners or contemporaries persons are not considered historical characters.
• Click on the Search button to list all the registered characters in database. It is located below the search form.
• For restrictive searches, you can use the available inquiries search: Name, Nationality and key-word. These inquiries can be used individually or being arranged.
• To look for the character’s name, type a word or a sequence of words which correspond to the searched Title. Then you click on the Search button. For example: to search for the title “José da Silva Paes”, type one of these three words: José or Silva or Paes. You can also search for sequential words of the title, like: José da Silva or Silva Paes. However, the system will not find the example above if you type the words of the title isolated side by side, or out of the sequential order, like: José Silva or José Paes or yet Paes Silva and Silva José.
• To search for character’s nationality, open the correspondent list, select the birth country of the character, among those showed in alphabetic order, and click on Search button. After this, make sure that what you had selected is permanently fixed: in case the selection window remains activated (become gloomy) an accidental touch on mouse or on computer keyboard could change the type previously selected.
• You can also search for key-words, typing in the corresponding field one or more words, sequential or not, pertaining to the character’s biography text. If two or more words will be typed, the result of the research will show bibliographies that contain EITHER one of the typed words and not necessarily those that contains ALL the typed words.
• In the research using the combination of more than one of the available questions of search, the gotten results will be those that attempt jointly to all the predefined questions and never only to one or another one separately.
• In case of doubts on which questions of search you must use, make an ampler research first and, later, return to the form search page and refine the definite questions previously, restricting the gotten results.
• Notice that the inquiries defined in the last search are still there every time you go back to the Search for characters (search form). You can change it in order to refine the previous results page or click on Reset button to delete all the inquiries previously defined and do a new search.
• The users who are connected to fortalezas.org Website (logged in the restrict edition area), can also do a new search with two other inquiries which are located at the top of the page. In this case, you can still search for “Just in my registers”, that is, only searching for those characters registered by that user or you can search for the inquiry “Waiting for approval”, that is, only searching for those characters registered by that user but still not approved by the Website Administrator.